In order to guarantee the supply of food to the population, the Confederation shall create the conditions required for:
- safeguarding the basis for agricultural production, and agricultural land in particular;
- food production that is adapted to local conditions and which uses natural resources efficiently;
- an agriculture and food sector that responds to market requirements;
- cross-border trade relations that contribute to the sustainable development of the agriculture and food sector;
- using food in a way that conserves natural resources.
1 Adopted by the popular vote on 24. Sept. 2017, in force since 24 Sept. 2017 (FedD of 14 March 2017, FCD of 30 Nov. 2017 – AS 2017 6735; BBl 2014 6135, 2015 5753, 2017 2495 7829).